Leadership, Organizational Development and Policy in Education
Master's degree in the Leadership, Organizational Development and Policy in Education program
Head of program: Prof. Joseph Klein
The Leadership, Organizational Development and Policy in Education program at Bar-Ilan University offers a comprehensive curriculum based on four arenas: the political, administrative, economic, and pedagogical.
Our academic faculty members are renowned researchers in their respective fields who offer our students exposure to a wide range of subjects and enriching curriculum.
The aim of the program is to deepen students' theoretical, research and practical knowledge in the field of educational administration:
- Developing an infrastructure of leadership in the Israeli education system
- Preparing graduates for research and dealing with senior positions in the education system in Israel, including: Leading and building school faculty, teacher training, school management, assessment and supervision, and management of district educational authorities
The curriculum is structured over two consecutive years. Students must study a full course of study and meet all their study requirements in each of the consecutive years of study.
The program courses are taught on one day, Mondays from 8:00 to 20:00.
In addition, the students are required to fulfill basic Jewish and English studies, as detailed on the M.A. Committee website.
The curriculum and study days for the 2019-2020 academic school year are subject to change.
New! Master's degree in Leadership, Organizational Development and Policy in Education in combination with a Director of Education certification
Track A: Master's degree with thesis
Track A is intended for students interested in obtaining a master's degree (M.A.), including written research work (thesis) as part of the curriculum. Studies include theoretical knowledge and professional skills alongside academic and research development. The studies in the program are designed to enable combining a job with the continuing academic studies in general and studies for receiving a doctorate in particular.
The theoretical studies in this track are 18 hours per year, spread over one day a week for two consecutive years. After the completion of the theoretical studies, students are given an additional (third) year to submit their thesis.
Track B: Master's degree without a thesis
Track B is intended for students who wish to obtain a master's degree (M.A.) without writing a thesis. Studies include theoretical knowledge and professional skills, and participation in research courses. Students studying in this track are required to pass a final examination on material to be determined by the M.A. Committee of the School of Education.
The theoretical studies in this track are 22 hours per year, spread over a one day per week for two consecutive years.
Study program curriculum (without a Director of Education certification):
Study program curriculum (in combination with a Director of Education certification):
Preference will be given to applicants who are bachelor's degree graduates in administration or other professions with educational or managerial experience with a grade average of 80 or above. Applicants must be educators and/or teachers and/or supervisors engaged in education: teaching/training/ educational work. Applicants designate themselves to integrate into the educational management systems in Israel. (Exceptional requests will be discussed in special cases).
- Applicants must provide two letters of recommendation
- Applicants must provide a current Curriculum Vida (CV)
- Applicants must undergo a personal interview
Applicants who are not bachelor's' degree graduates in Education Management, must take one completion course which is subject to the study program from which the applicant graduated. The completion course will be decided by the head of program during the application process.
Completion course: "Introduction to Education Leadership", an online course taught during the 1st year of studies (semester A).
Before the start of the academic school year, there is an option to take an exemption examination which exempts the student from undergoing the completion course.
2. After registration, the following documents must be sent:
- Bachelor's degree diploma - official and original (should include the stamp of the accredited university or establishment, signature, and establishment logo)
- Teaching certification certificate – official and original (should include the stamp of the accredited university or establishment, signature, and establishment logo)
The above-mentioned documents can be sent in two formats:
Mail: M.A. Admissions Committee, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan, 5290002
Physically handed over: Mador Shema (building 605), Sun-Thurs from 8:00-18:00
3. Two recommendations must be sent – a letter of recommendation from an employer and an academic recommendation (students who completed their degree requirements beyond the two year period can instead submit two letters of recommendation letters from an employer).
4. An updated curriculum vida (CV) must be sent by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by fax (03-738-4123) or by mail (School of Education, M.A. studies, Science and Technology Education, Bar-Ilan University, Ramat Gan 5290000)
For more information please refer to the program secretary:
Calling hours are Sunday-Thursday, 10:30-11:30 and 13:30-14:30
Reception hours are Sundays and Wednesdays: 11:30-14:00, Mondays and Thursdays: 8:30-10:30. On Tuesdays there are no reception hours.
Academic staff and active researchers with international publications on a variety of topics:
Prof. Haim Gaziel - Education Policy and School Effectiveness
Dr. Joseph Klein - Decision-making and Decentralization in Education Systems
Prof. Chen Schechter - Learning from Success
Prof. Israel Gilat - The Teacher and Educational Leader in Law - Rights and Duties
Prof. Orly Shapira - Organizational Ethics, Training and Teachers' Withdrawal Behavior in Education Systems
Dr. Iris BenDavid-Hadar - The Economics of Education - Financing and Managing the School Budget
Dr. Pascale Ben Oliel – Leadership in Multi-cultural Education Systems
Last Updated Date : 28/09/2022